Potomac Speedskating Club wins national title 2012.04.24 18:09

Alison
Comment : 0 Views : 4088 Votes : 0

The first time Walter Johnson High School senior Jared Wood stepped foot onto the ice at the Wheaton Ice Rink more than a decade ago, his eyes welled up and tears began to stream down his face.

“I started crying when I couldn't move on the ice. You don't feel comfortable on skates at first,” Wood said. “My mom was like, ‘Jared, you've got to keep moving your feet, you can't just stop right there and cry.'”

Wood gave it a try and, sure enough, it worked.

The 2011 U.S. National Intermediate Men's Short Track Speedskating champion has no problem moving on the ice these days.

Wood last month was named to the U.S. Developmental Team following his performance at the 2012 U.S. Speedskating American Cup Finals and Short Track Age Group National Championships held at the Cornerstone Arena In Green Bay, Wisc. The competition featured 240 athletes from all 50 states.

more>>>

525555_10150621133981481_540721480_9680450_81457236_n Thomas Hong Podium.jpg 

Me2day Yozm
Comment '0'
Write a comment You do not have permission to access

List of Articles
  1. U.S. Speedskating faces request for comprehensive audit (Photo: Rick Bowmer, AP) U.S. Speedskating once again finds itself in a potentially slippery situation after a demand for a comprehensive audit of the national governing body's financial records. Patricia Rodowsky, a paralegal and the mother of short track speedskater Jim Rodowsky, sent U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun a letter on Thursday requesting the audit. "I am personally aware that numerous parents of the athlete grievants, and the athletes' many other supporters, join me in this request," Rodowsky wrote, according to a copy of the letter obtained by USA TODAY Sports. Representatives of the USOC could not immediately be reached for comment Friday. A grievance filed last August by a group of short track skaters claimed that U.S. Speedskating does not fulfill its responsibilities as a national govern... Date :2013.02.23 Reply :0
  2. Local competitive speed skaters explain what it takes to be a star athlete By Tahmina Achekzai and Sonya Bessalel, Published: August 17The Washington Post For a sport that looks so effortless, it's amazing how exhausted the athletes are at the end of each lap. Their skates skid along the ice, and they are constantly speeding counterclockwise and crouching lower to the freezing arena. The athletes sprint with feet sliding concurrently and arms behind their backs in defiance. Their coach constantly yells "Faster, faster!" as muscles ache and legs begin to buckle. Welcome to the world of competitive speed skating. This grueling sport has been around since the 13th century and began as a form of transportation across icy waters. Since then, its popularity has increased and it has developed into an Olympic sport. Speed skating tests the stamina, strength and speed of the athletes who compete. How... Date :2012.08.18 Reply :0
  3. Potomac Speedskating Club wins national title The first time Walter Johnson High School senior Jared Wood stepped foot onto the ice at the Wheaton Ice Rink more than a decade ago, his eyes welled up and tears began to stream down his face. “I started crying when I couldn't move on the ice. You don't feel comfortable on skates at first,” Wood said. “My mom was like, ‘Jared, you've got to keep moving your feet, you can't just stop right there and cry.'” Wood gave it a try and, sure enough, it worked. The 2011 U.S. National Intermediate Men's Short Track Speedskating champion has no problem moving on the ice these days. Wood last month was named to the U.S. Developmental Team following his performance at the 2012 U.S. Speedskating American Cup Finals and Short Track Age Group National Championships held at the Cornerstone Arena In Green Bay, Wis... Date :2012.04.24 Reply :0
first 1 2 3 4 5 last